Tuesday 21 April 2015

Lamb and allotment

Lamb is my favorite meat and a roast leg is the best :)  Parents-in-law here Sunday, so did that.  We got a marinade recipe, I think, on an insert into a newspaper a good few years ago and it's a winner.  On Saturday, made it - crushed garlic, chopped rosemary, wholegrain mustard, soy sauce, mixed spread liberally over the leg wrapped in a large bag and overnight in fridge.  Trivet of onion, celery, carrot (parsnips as well, see below) into oven for 3 hours on 5.  Roast potatoes, cauliflower and broccoli (unfortunately very overcooked, but I've cooking for the Irish, so no choice), carrot and parsnip mash, roast potatoes, gravy.  Standard gravy, softened shallots, old lamb stock from freezer, couple of glasses of win, juices from roast and once the meat is resting deglaze the roasting tray with a bit of stock and mash the veg trivet through a sieve.  A mixture of cornflour and Colman's mustard powder in a little cold water to thicken it.

I made a dozen carrot (and parsnip) cakes to finish, I think the recipe is in an earlier post.

Allotment, weeding and digging, my back was broken on Saturday morning, but OK again by Sunday, warm(-ish), fairly sunny and lovely out there, I have potatoes, rhubarb, garlic, onions, beans, carrots and beetroot in with some fruit bushes and herbs.  Some leeks and parsnips from  last year, as above I harvested a good few parsnips on Sunday, that went into the dinner and cakes.

I have tomatoes, cauliflowers, aubergines, courgettes, chillies and broccoli in the greenhouse just starting.

No comments:

Post a Comment