Monday 20 July 2020

The (small) benefit of lockdown

While little good has come from COVID, apart from people being nicer and probably never going back to the office full time, I've found having the time at home and doing a lot of sourdough work, it has improved all of my cooking, in a few ways.

I'm naturally clumsy and heavy handed, having the time and taking it has really increased my attention to detail, I'm doing things slower, double checking things, making careful notes and re-reading things.

I made some yeast bread for someone a couple of weeks ago, I've not made any for a least a year and it was as good as I've ever done.  I made fresh pasta and then tortellini, usually I make raviolo and there's always one or two splits.


I'm also being more choosy with ingredients, it comes partly from being restricted in the first few weeks and having to shop at more expensive farm shops or online and really appreciating the quality.

A bit like shopping in the market in Malaga or Sevilla, I appreciate good tinned tomatoes, olive oil, eggs, meat and am willing and can afford to pay for them - I realise this isn't possible for everyone and you can make great food with the cheapest ingredients.  

After boiling some ham, I cut the boiled fat off, dried it and made lovely pork scratchings

I did a good mushroom risotto as well

 

No comments:

Post a Comment